By David Rogers. April 29, 2019. BLOWING ROCK, NC — It takes time (and effort) to change a reputation — and even then…
Despite a winning record by its league members against other FBS conferences in bowl games the past two years (3-2 in 2018 and 5-1 in 2017), the Sun Belt Conference was mostly snubbed in the seven rounds of the 2019 NFL Draft.
Louisiana-Monroe’s Marcus Green, a wide receiver/kick returner, was the Sun Belt’s lone selection at #203 (sixth round) by the Atlanta Falcons.
There is no question that Green is a dynamic player after a 4-year career at ULM that saw him catch 202 passes for 2,698 yards and 23 TDs. It is a career that also included 70 kickoff returns for 1,761 yards (a 25.2 yards per game average), four for TDs.
Fortunately, the draft is not the only path to professional football at the highest level. Five Appalachian State players were signed Saturday evening to Undrafted Free Agent (UDFA) contracts. CLICK HERE for that story.
A full list of Sun Belt players receiving UDFA contracts include:
- Clifton Duck, Cornerback, to the Chicago Bears
- Tae Hayes, Cornerback, to the Jacksonville Jaguars
- MyQuon Stout, Defensive Tackle, to the New York Jets
- Austin Exford, Safety, to the Houston Texans
- Jalin Moore, Running Back, to the New York Jets
- Ellis Richardson, Tight End, Chicago Bears
- Penny Hart, Wide Receiver, Indianapolis Colts
- Chase Middleton, Linebacker, Houston Texans
- Keenan Brown, Tight End, Los Angeles Rams
- Trevon Sanders, Defensive Line, New York Jets
- Lanard Bonner, Offensive Line, Atlanta Falcons