Special Report to Blowing Rock News from App State Sports. By Andrew Korba. February 22, 2020. BOONE, NC — App State men’s basketball outscored Troy 41-27 in the second half en route to a 68-59 victory on Saturday afternoon on Alumni Day.
COVER IMAGE: Isaac Johnson was called for an offensive foul, but the aggressive play was indicative of his contributions in the Mountaineers’ 68-59 win over visiting Troy. All photographic images captured by Bill Barbour for Blowing Rock News, edited and processed by David Rogers.
The win improves App State to 16-13 on the season and 10-8 in conference play. The 16 victories this year are the most for the Black and Gold since also winning 16 contests in the 2010-11 season. In addition, the Mountaineers’ 10 conference victories are a new Sun Belt high and most since the 2010-11 season.
The Black and Gold also celebrated Alumni Day as part of its 100th anniversary celebration. In all, App State welcomed back over 50 former members of the program.
The Mountaineers jumped out to an early 13-6 lead, only to see the Trojans (9-20, 5-13 SBC) respond with the next 10 points. Troy held the remainder of the lead for the half and took a 32-27 lead into the intermission.
App State opened the second half with a 12-2 spurt to jump in front 39-34 with just over 16 minutes left. Following a pair of Troy free throws, the Mountaineers scored six straight points to open a 45-36 edge with 13:18 to go. The Trojans trimmed the App State lead to five, but the Mountaineers came right back with 11 straight points to take their largest lead of the game at 56-40 with 7:59 remaining. Troy would cut the Black and Gold lead to seven points, but could get no closer.
Justin Forrest paced the Mountaineers with a solid all-around game, finishing with 24 points, six rebounds, a team-high tying four assists and a team-high tying three steals. Forrest also went over the 500-point plateau on the season, becoming the 19th player in program history to accomplish the feat.
O’Showen Williams reached double figures for the seventh consecutive game with 15 points. Isaac Johnson finished with his sixth double-double of the season with 13 points, 10 rebounds and a team-high tying four assists.
In all, the Mountaineers limited Troy to 30.2 percent shooting (19-of-63) and a 19.2 percent mark (5-of-26) on three-pointers. In the second half, the Trojans shot just 25.0 percent (7-of-28) from the field and 16.7 percent (2-of-12) from beyond the arc.
App State finished with a 23-of-52 (44.2 percent) mark from the field, including 16-of-26 (61.5 percent) in the second half. The Mountaineers also held a 16-6 advantage in fast break points.
The Mountaineers will now have the week off and host Coastal Carolina on Feb. 29 at 4:30 p.m. as part of a double header with the women’s program. The contest will also serve as Senior Day. Tickets for the remainder of the 2019-20 season are on sale and can be purchased by calling the App State ticket office at 828-262-2079 or clicking here.
- APP – Justin Forrest: 24 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals
- APP – Isaac Johnson: 13 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 blocked shot, 1 steal
- APP – O’Showen Williams: 15 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals
- TROY – Tyrek Williams: 11 points, 4 rebounds
- TROY – Khalyi Waters: 8 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals
- TROY – Nick Stampley: 7 points, 6 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block
- TROY – Desmond Williams: 7 points, 4 rebounds
SUN BELT SCORES FOR FEBRUARY 22
- South Alabama 74, @Coastal Carolina 71
- @Louisiana-Monroe 83, Louisiana 77
- Georgia Southern 81, @ Texas-Arlington 61
- @Appalachian State 68, Troy 59
- @Texas State 86, Georgia State 76
- Little Rock 81, @Arkansas State 78
SUN BELT STANDINGS (Conference, Overall)
- 1 Little Rock (13-4, 19-9)
- 2 Texas State (12-6, 19-10)
- T-3 Georgia State (11-7, 18-11)
- T-3 South Alabama (11-7, 18-11)
- T-3 Georgia Southern (11-7, 17-12)
- 6 Appalachian State (10-8, 16-13)
- 7 Texas-Arlington (9-9, 13-16)
- T8 Arkansas State (7-11, 15-14)
- T8 Coastal Carolina (7-11, 14-15)
- 10 Louisiana (6-11, 11-17)
- 11 Louisiana-Monroe (5-13, 9-18)
- 12 Troy (5-13, 9-20)