By David Rogers. September 30, 2017. BOONE, NC — With a time of 16:36.00, Christ the King Catholic School senior Connor White cruised to a first place finish in the Varsity Boys division of the High Country CC Classic on Saturday, but the Watauga team of harriers took three of the next four places to lead the Pioneers to the team title.
COVER IMAGE: Watauga senior Price St. Clair battles West Wilkes’ Brandon Miller for 3rd place honors in the High Country CC Classic. All photographic images by David Rogers for Blowing Rock News.
Sophomore Avery Cannon took second and senior Price St. Clair captured third in times of 16:44.00 and 16:53.00, respectively, while senior Josh Lamont (17:15.00) finished behind West Wilkes’ senior Brandon Miller in the fifth position. All Watauga runners finished well within the top half the 122-man field, including Tucker Brown (Fr., 30th), Ethan Turner (Soph., 31st), and Korben Anderson (Fr., 42nd).
In the Varsity Boys division, a total of 18 teams were allowed to enter a maximum of seven runners. Watauga’s 50 point team score was followed by Charlotte Catholic (79), West Henderson (99), Northwestern (134), Nation Ford (172), Davie County (189) and East Mecklenburg (217).
“I’m not sure how many personal bests we had today,” the Pioneers’ St. Clair told Blowing Rock News afterward. “We didn’t take individual honors, but the important thing is that we took the team title and we did it without one of our best runners, who was sick today.”
Asked about any advantage he might have had, “Well, of course this is our home course, so we want to defend it. But beyond that, I really like this course because it plays to my strengths. I do well on hills, as do many of my teammates.”
Watauga’s depth was evident in competing against a field of 122 high school varsity athletes from four different states (NC, SC, TN, and VA). Six Watauga runners placed in the top 30 and the seventh was 42nd.
Boys Varsity Team Scores
- Watauga (Boone, NC) 50
- Charlotte Catholic (Charlotte, NC) 79
- West Henderson (Hendersonville, NC) 99
- Northwestern (Rock Hill, SC) 134
- Nation Ford (Ft. Mill, SC) 172
- Davie County (Mocksville, NC) 189
- East Mecklenburg (Charlotte, NC) 217
- North Davidson (Lexington, NC) 234
- Ashe County (W. Jefferson, NC) 248
- Covenant Day School (Matthews, NC) 289
- University School (Johnson City, TN) 310
- Christ the King Catholic (Huntersville, NC) 317
- Freedom (Morganton, NC) 324
- Volunteer High School (Church Hill, TN) 355
- Mountain Island Charter School (Mt. Holly, NC) 432
- Hopewell (Huntersville, NC) 441
- Avery County (Newland, NC) 441
- Ashbrook (Gastonia, NC) 441
Watauga Individual Finishes
- 2nd — Avery Cannon (Soph.)
- 3rd — Price St. Clair (Sr.)
- 5th — Josh Lamont (Sr.)
- 13th — Elias Norman (Sr.)
- 30th — Tucker Brown (Fr.)
- 31st — Ethan Turner (Soph.)
- 42nd — Korben Anderson (Fr.)
Boys Jr. Varsity
In a much closer team competition for the Junior Varsity Boys, Watauga edged Charlotte Catholic, 35-40. While only five athletes’ finishes were part of the team scores, the Pioneers top seven runners finished in the top 13, led by Alexander Freeman (2nd), Jimmy Brown (6th), Caleb Cox (8th), Sam Yates (9th), Andrew Cole (10th), Ivan Tzotschew (12th) and Sam Stokes (13th).
The Junior Varsity Boys field featured 168 runners.
Boys Jr. Varsity Team Scores
- Watauga 35
- Charlotte Catholic 40
- Northwestern 92
- West Henderson 150
- Davie County 151
- East Mecklenburg 155
- Nation Ford 166
- North Davidson 186
- University School 217
- Christ the King Catholic 320
- Ashbrook 342
- Hopewell 355
SLIDESHOW By David Rogers for Blowing Rock News