By David Rogers. September 16, 2016. BOONE, NC — In competitive distance running, it’s hard to describe anyone as “cruising” to a win, but with seven out of the top 10 and 10 out of the top 15 finishers in the women’s section of the Mountains vs. The Sea Duals at State Farm Fields and Kennedy Trails Friday night, it’s safe to say that Appalachian State dominated the 4-team competition that also included UNC-Wilmington, University of Miami (FL), and Western Carolina.
COVER IMAGE: Mountaineer harrier Tristin Van Ord finishes in first — with nobody else yet in sight, a full 27 seconds ahead of second and third place runners Moser (App State) and Hesslau (Miami), respectively.
Appalachian’s #1 runner, Tristin Van Ord, seperated herself from the field with a mile to go in the 3.1 mile women’s race and was never threatened for first place honors. At the finish, she led second place finisher and App State teammate, Torre Moser, by 27 seconds.
If there was any real drama in the race it came in the race for second place — and at the very end. With about 100 yards to go to the finish line, Moser trailed Miami’s Gabrielle Hesslau by almost five yards, but the Mountaineers’ senior middle distance specialist (in track & field) dug deep and flashed by the unsuspecting Hesslau, a redshirt junior, with about 35 yards remaining. The Downers Grove, Illinois native who two weeks ago had won the Florida Atlantic University Invitational in Boca Raton, FL, while representing the Hurricanes could not respond fast enough to the sprinting Moser and was edged at the finish by about two yards.
The top individual finishers:
- Tristin Van Ord, Appalachian State, 17:55.76
- Toree Moser, Appalachian State, 18:22.90
- Gabrielle Hesslau, Univ. of Miami, 18:23.51
- Tilda Norris, Unattached, 18:28.31
- Kaitlyn Lingard, Western Carolina, 18:34.82
- Hana Ratcliffe, Appalachian State, 18:38.00
- Phylissa Greeley, Appalachian State, 18:38.24
- Natalie Kile, Appalachian State, 18:38.38
- Kerry Leonard, Appalachian State, 18:45.77
- Shawnda Martin, Western Carolina, 18:54.21
- Elisa Sargent, Appalachian State, 19:01.21
- Megan Scannell, Appalachian State, 19:04.69
- Karli Smiraglia, UNC-Wilmington, 19:08.50
- Grace Brooks, Appalachian State, 19:15.12
- Sarah Venable, Appalachian State, 19:15.98
In the Mountains (App State and Western Carolina) vs. The Sea (UNC-Wilmington and Univ. of Miami) “dual,” Team Mountains prevailed, 85-155.
Other Dual Meet scores:
- App State 18, Miami 45
- App State 15, UNC-Wilmington 50
- App State 18, Western Carolina 44
- Miami 28, UNC-Wilmington 28
- Miami 26, Western Carolina 32
- Western Carolina 24, UNC-Wilmington 32
To calculate the scores, only the top five runners from each school were included.
Next up for the Appalachian State harriers is the Panorama Farms Invitational in Charlottesville, VA, on Friday, September 23, with the women’s race set to start at 10:00 am.