By David Rogers. April 2, 2017. BLOWING ROCK, NC — Not all of the big ones got away. While a good many fishin’ folks stayed indoors for Saturday’s opening day of trout season, the “reel” High Country anglers showed up in droves to compete for prizes, courtesy of the 38th Annual Blowing Rock Trout Derby.
COVER IMAGE: Local angler Lucas Bishop shows off his 11.38″ Brook caught at Broyhill Lake during Blowing Rock Trout Derby. Photographic image by David Rogers for Blowing Rock News
Started almost four decades ago by four Blowing Rock businessmen, including the father of current organizer Kim Rogers, Elmer Jenkins, one of Trout Derby’s aims from the beginning is to teach kids the enjoyment of fishing. While in centuries gone by it might have been a necessary survival skill to put food on the table for Native Americans, frontiersmen, and early settlers, today trout fishing is mostly known as one of Western North Carolina’s oldest outdoor recreation pastimes.
Rogers reported to Blowing Rock News late Saturday that while the number of registered fish was down this year, perhaps because of the weather, the number of participating young anglers was up. “We handed out 140 official event T-shirts,” she noted, “and over 100 bags from the North Carolina Wildlife Commission.”
First Fish — Jenna Parsons @ 7:15 am; 10.50″ Brook @ Broyhill Lake
Largest Trout By Species
- Brook — 12.38″ by Ian Simmons, Broyhill Lake
- Brown — 14.50″ by Lincoln Randazzo, Price Lake
- Rainbow — 21.75″ by Gene Hodges, Valle Crucis
Small Fry Division
- 1st —
Kyle Schwab, 19.00″ Rainbow @ Price Lake (Trophy sponsored by Sunny Rock Restaurant)
- 2nd — Madison Schwab, 16.75″ Rainbow @ Price Lake
- 3rd — Lincoln Randazzo, 14.50″ Brown @ Price Lake
- 1st — Gracie Leonard, 12.00″ Rainbow @ Broyhill Lake (Trophy sponsored by Angelo’s Maintenance)
- 2nd — Kathryn Presnell, 11.13″ Brown @ Laurel Creek
- 3rd — Davida Bane, 11.00″ Brown @ Price Lake
- 1st — Jackson Reece, 12.75″ Brown @ Price Lake (Trophy sponsored by Foggy Rock Restaurant)
- 2nd — Reed Triplett, 11.38″ Rainbow @ Laurel Creek
- 1st — Janie Dancy, 18.00″ Rainbow @ Price Lake (Trophy sponsored by Labonte Plumbing)
- 2nd — Sherri Greer, 17.88″ Rainbow @ Valle Crucis
- 3rd — Pam Paine, 12.38″ Rainbow @ Middle Fork
- 1st —
Gene Hodges, 21.75″ Rainbow @ Valle Crucis (Trophy sponsored by A-1 Termite)
- 2nd — Todd Rich, 19.50″ Rainbow @ Valle Crucis
- 3rd — Aaron Rich, 18″ Rainbow @ Valle Crucis
- 3rd — Jim Cameron, 18″ Rainbow @ Middle Fork
Tagged Fish (at Broyhill Lake)
- Abigail Rich, 11.75″ Brook
- Emma Hamilton, 11.00″ Brook
- Maddie Shatley, 10.50″ Brook
Other sponsors of Blowing Rock Trout Derby include North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission (Division of Inland Fisheries), Blowing Rock Chamber of Commerce, Hollars Construction, Jenkins Realtors, M Prints, Bolick & Traditions Pottery, Chetola Mountain Resort, Blowing Rock Tire & Auto, Mike Calhoun’s Bass Club, High Country Chapter of Hunters Helping Kids, 4 Forty Four Construction, and Jim Allen’s Home Solutions.
Here are a couple of slideshows by Lonnie Webster and David Rogers. Results from the Trout Derby will be added to this article as soon as they are received.