Around the Business World With Interest: July 11, 2012
By David Rogers. July 11, 2012. BLOWING ROCK -- Here are business-related stories and articles that caught our eye in recent days, and may not be in the mainstream media. As a courtesy to our readers, we provide links.
JULY 11, 2012
From American Banker
State and local governments have started to use their power of eminent domain to "condemn" underwater mortgages (mortgages where the debt exceeds the value of the property).
- This article by Chicago attorney Brian J. Murray explains the practice, discusses the risks, and questions the practice's constitutionality. Click HERE for the full story.
- Similarly, this article by North Carolina Congressman Brad Miller, Dem., suggests the real losers may be the biggest banks and the holders of second liens. Click HERE for the full story.
- Apple and Samsung have been engaged in various patent disputes. On Monday, the High Court in London ruled that Samsung's Galaxy tablets did not infringe on Apple Computer's designs for the iPad because they were "not as cool." Click HERE for the full story.
- Cell phone carriers have seen a sharp rise in requests from U.S. law enforcement agencies or customers' cell phone records. This raises privacy concerns, as well as adds a legal burden to mobile phone companies. Click HERE for the full story
From Investment News
- After falling for more than five years, house prices are rising again, even after adjusting for seasonal patterns. Click HERE for the full story.
By David Rogers. July 27, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC – After launching the Chestnut Ridge capital campaign on June 24th with the groundbreaking of Blowing Rock’s new post-acute care facility,...Read More...
By David Rogers. July 24, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC – A 2007 study by Science Daily magazine reports that the average Major League Baseball player’s career is just 5.6 years. Of...Read More...
By David Rogers. July 20, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Abuzz with activity, the Blowing Rock Equestrian Preserve's show grounds are just two days away from hosting the Hunter-Jumper competition...Read More...
By David Rogers. July 23, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Like the Energizer bunny, they keep going and going and going. Such is the fate of the long distance, cross country runner -- and Blowing Rock...Read More...
By David Rogers. July 21, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Some three dozen kids and their parents stormed Rumple Memorial Presbyterian Church on Sunday -- after hours -- in a fun-filled kickoff to the...Read More...
By David Rogers. July 10, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Clearly between a rock and a hard place -- and with a lot of developer information and public outcry to digest -- the Blowing Rock Board of...Read More...
- Out of the Shadows at Blowing Rock's Shadowlawn
- Yankee Great Richardson Grand Slams Blowing Rock
- Gettin' Ready: Horse Show Greets Early Arrivals
- ON THE RUN: Base-Building in Blowing Rock
- Blowing Rock's Rumple Kicks Off VBS with a Bang and Many Smiles
- Mountainleaf Tabled by Council, Hurdles & Public Outcry to Overcome
Out of the Shadows at Blowing Rock's Shadowlawn
By David Rogers. July 27, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC – After launching the Chestnut Ridge capital campaign on June 24th with the groundbreaking of Blowing Rock’s new post-acute care facility, Appalachian Regional Healthcare System kicked things into high gear Saturday evening with its SOLD OUT "Patron’s Party" at Shadowlawn, the historic home of Ron and Paula Withrow, in the Mayview neighborhood.
Up & Coming Events
E-mail News Signup
Key Stock Market ETFs
Data powered by www.worden.com
Data powered by www.worden.com