Around the Business World With Interest: July 11, 2012
By David Rogers. July 11, 2012. BLOWING ROCK -- Here are business-related stories and articles that caught our eye in recent days, and may not be in the mainstream media. As a courtesy to our readers, we provide links.
JULY 11, 2012
From American Banker
State and local governments have started to use their power of eminent domain to "condemn" underwater mortgages (mortgages where the debt exceeds the value of the property).
- This article by Chicago attorney Brian J. Murray explains the practice, discusses the risks, and questions the practice's constitutionality. Click HERE for the full story.
- Similarly, this article by North Carolina Congressman Brad Miller, Dem., suggests the real losers may be the biggest banks and the holders of second liens. Click HERE for the full story.
- Apple and Samsung have been engaged in various patent disputes. On Monday, the High Court in London ruled that Samsung's Galaxy tablets did not infringe on Apple Computer's designs for the iPad because they were "not as cool." Click HERE for the full story.
- Cell phone carriers have seen a sharp rise in requests from U.S. law enforcement agencies or customers' cell phone records. This raises privacy concerns, as well as adds a legal burden to mobile phone companies. Click HERE for the full story
From Investment News
- After falling for more than five years, house prices are rising again, even after adjusting for seasonal patterns. Click HERE for the full story.
By Gabrielle Moody. April 11, 2014. BOONE, NC -- Sometimes, playing the game isn't all about winning and losing. Sometimes it is simply about growing as individual athletes and as a team....Read More...
Special Report to Blowing Rock News from AppState Sports. By Ben Winterrowd. April 12, 2014. ELON, NC — Coming off of two great offensive outputs in a doubleheader at ETSU on Tuesday,...Read More...
By David Rogers. April 11, 2014. BOONE, NC -- At least one measure of a musical or dramatic production's success is the number of performances it has run on Broadway. In late 1948, Kiss Me, Kate...Read More...
Special Report. April 10, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Whether she picks Nikes, adidas, Reebok, FiLA, or Under Armour, one Blowing Rock School student will win a $100 gift certificate toward a pair of...Read More...
By David Rogers. April 5, 2014. BOONE, NC -- Visiting Butler jumped out to an early, 5-0 lead before Watauga High's lacrosse team found its rhythm on Saturday and battled back. Early...Read More...
Special Report to Blowing Rock News from Merlefest!. April 11, 2014. NASHVILLE, TN -- GRAMMY award-winning bluegrass sensation, the Steep Canyon Rangers, will be performing on April 16 at...Read More...
ESSAY CONTEST: What Blowing Rock Girls Will Win?
Special Report. April 10, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Whether she picks Nikes, adidas, Reebok, FiLA, or Under Armour, one Blowing Rock School student will win a $100 gift certificate toward a pair of new basketball shoes AND a full "scholarship" to the Appalachian State Women's Basketball-hosted "Youth Basketball Clinic," May 3-4, at Varsity Gym on the Appalachian State campus. And to win, she doesn't have to show off her dribbling skills -- she has to write a winning essay entitled, "I Want to Go to Basketball Camp."
E-mail News Signup
Key Stock Market ETFs
Data powered by www.worden.com
Data powered by www.worden.com