Around the Business World With Interest: July 11, 2012
By David Rogers. July 11, 2012. BLOWING ROCK -- Here are business-related stories and articles that caught our eye in recent days, and may not be in the mainstream media. As a courtesy to our readers, we provide links.
JULY 11, 2012
From American Banker
State and local governments have started to use their power of eminent domain to "condemn" underwater mortgages (mortgages where the debt exceeds the value of the property).
- This article by Chicago attorney Brian J. Murray explains the practice, discusses the risks, and questions the practice's constitutionality. Click HERE for the full story.
- Similarly, this article by North Carolina Congressman Brad Miller, Dem., suggests the real losers may be the biggest banks and the holders of second liens. Click HERE for the full story.
- Apple and Samsung have been engaged in various patent disputes. On Monday, the High Court in London ruled that Samsung's Galaxy tablets did not infringe on Apple Computer's designs for the iPad because they were "not as cool." Click HERE for the full story.
- Cell phone carriers have seen a sharp rise in requests from U.S. law enforcement agencies or customers' cell phone records. This raises privacy concerns, as well as adds a legal burden to mobile phone companies. Click HERE for the full story
From Investment News
- After falling for more than five years, house prices are rising again, even after adjusting for seasonal patterns. Click HERE for the full story.
By David Rogers. March 7, 2014. ASHEVILLE, NC – Samford forward Tim Williams posted a game-high double-double with 21 points and 11 rebounds, leading the Bulldogs to a convincing, 70-56 win over...Read More...
Special Report to Blowing Rock News from Watauga County Schools. By Marshall Ashcraft. October 29, 2013. BOONE, NC -- Watauga High School will host the regional competition of the North Carolina...Read More...
By David Rogers. November 1, 2013. BOONE, NC -- Senior wide receiver Cam Baker grabbed four passes for 182 yards -- including three TD passes from QB Aaron Dobbins -- but it was not enough to...Read More...
By David Rogers. October 25, 2013. MORGANTON, NC -- Wide receiver Cam Baker caught six passes for 96 yards, including a 35 yard touchdown strike to put Watauga HS ahead for good with 3:51 remaining...Read More...
By David Rogers. November 8, 2013. HUDSON, NC -- After trailing all of the first half and most of the second half until the final minute, Watauga capitalized on late game opportunities to sneak...Read More...
By David Rogers. November 27, 2013. BLOWING ROCK, NC – James "Jim Bob" Norman has come a long way since his days as a wide receiver on three national championship football teams...Read More...
- One and Done for Mountaineer Men in Last SoCon Tourney, 70-56
- Watauga HS Hosts NCTC Play Festival, Nov. 8-9
- Watauga Takes a Hit on Senior Night, 42-27
- This Time Watauga Wins the Thriller, 24-20
- FLASH ALERT: Watauga Escapes S. Caldwell in Nailbiter, 22-21
- Where Are They Now: Blowing Rock's Norman Family
Watauga HS Hosts NCTC Play Festival, Nov. 8-9
Special Report to Blowing Rock News from Watauga County Schools. By Marshall Ashcraft. October 29, 2013. BOONE, NC -- Watauga High School will host the regional competition of the North Carolina Theatre Conference (NCTC) High School Play Festival on November 8-9.
Up & Coming Events
E-mail News Signup
Key Stock Market ETFs
Data powered by www.worden.com
Data powered by www.worden.com