Around the Business World With Interest: July 11, 2012
By David Rogers. July 11, 2012. BLOWING ROCK -- Here are business-related stories and articles that caught our eye in recent days, and may not be in the mainstream media. As a courtesy to our readers, we provide links.
JULY 11, 2012
From American Banker
State and local governments have started to use their power of eminent domain to "condemn" underwater mortgages (mortgages where the debt exceeds the value of the property).
- This article by Chicago attorney Brian J. Murray explains the practice, discusses the risks, and questions the practice's constitutionality. Click HERE for the full story.
- Similarly, this article by North Carolina Congressman Brad Miller, Dem., suggests the real losers may be the biggest banks and the holders of second liens. Click HERE for the full story.
- Apple and Samsung have been engaged in various patent disputes. On Monday, the High Court in London ruled that Samsung's Galaxy tablets did not infringe on Apple Computer's designs for the iPad because they were "not as cool." Click HERE for the full story.
- Cell phone carriers have seen a sharp rise in requests from U.S. law enforcement agencies or customers' cell phone records. This raises privacy concerns, as well as adds a legal burden to mobile phone companies. Click HERE for the full story
From Investment News
- After falling for more than five years, house prices are rising again, even after adjusting for seasonal patterns. Click HERE for the full story.
By David Rogers. April 23, 2014. BOONE, NC -- With thought-provoking, often personal messages laid bare for the judges, there were no "losers" in Wednesday evening's 2nd Annual Dorgan...Read More...
By David Rogers. April 23, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- From "it's real" to "it's cool" to "you're actually doing stuff", three award-winning 6th grade...Read More...
SPECIAL REPORT. April 21, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC – The North Carolina Strategic Transportation Investments Law (House Bill 817) is the focus of the next Outside the Rock editorial series,...Read More...
By David Rogers. October 11, 2013. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Well over 50 Blowing Rock area business owners and civic leaders found their way through and behind the Blowing Rock Ale House restaurant...Read More...
By David Rogers. April 18, 2014. BLOWING ROCK, NC -- Almost a dozen boys and girls from Rumple Church enjoyed an adventure on Sunday: an Easter Egg hunt around the campus, including the church...Read More...
Special Report from Blowing Rock's Buz Helms. April 19, 2014. SOMEWHERE IN ARIZONA -- In a three-stage video report, former food broker, entrepreneur, and current member of Session for Rumple...Read More...
- Senior Psych Major Wins Dorgan Oratory Competition at AppState
- Blowing Rock's "Whiz Kids" Earn High Honors at State Science Competition
- OUTSIDE THE ROCK: NC Secretary of Transportation to Speak in Blowing Rock, June 24th
- RIBBON CUTTING: Blowing Rock Raises Its Glass
- SLIDESHOWS: Blowing Rock's Rumple Kids Find Easter Adventure
- VIDEO REPORT: Blowing Rock's Buz Helms in a "Death Defying" Adventure Out West
Senior Psych Major Wins Dorgan Oratory Competition at AppState
By David Rogers. April 23, 2014. BOONE, NC -- With thought-provoking, often personal messages laid bare for the judges, there were no "losers" in Wednesday evening's 2nd Annual Dorgan Oratory Contest, but senior pscyhology major and Chapel Hill native Rebecca Burwell walked away with top honors and a $250 cash award for her original oration, "The Power of Intentional Conversation."
E-mail News Signup
Key Stock Market ETFs
Data powered by www.worden.com
Data powered by www.worden.com