Special Report. July 19, 2017. LENOIR, NC — Blue Ridge Energy is warning the public about telephone scams targeting members.
The scheme involves the caller demanding immediate payment by phone to avoid having electricity disconnected to the home or business.
To avoid becoming a victim, the cooperative recommends the following tips to protect your identity and money:
- Never give out your personal information! This includes your Blue Ridge Energy account number, banking information, social security number or any other personal information.
- If you receive a suspicious call, hang up immediately and dial 1-800-451-5474 to reach Blue Ridge Energy at any time of the day or night.
- Sometimes the scheme involves providing a number to call to verify the information. Never trust a telephone number a caller gives you! Only use the telephone number you know to belong to Blue Ridge Energy to check information about your account.
- You can also set up secure online access to your Blue Ridge Energy account at www.BlueRidgeEnergy.com or through our free Blue Ridge mobile app available from app stores.
- Report fraudulent calls to your local law enforcement authority as well as to Blue Ridge Energy.